background

Friday, November 6, 2015

Opening My Eyes to Sight


For class, we were required to do a simulation activity to simulate different problems that can happen regarding sight. I was given four masks representing someone having glaucoma, loss of an eye, problems with the lens(such as astigmatism) that causes loss of visual acuity, and macular degeneration. I wore each mask for an hour, totaling four hours for the entire activity. This was defiantly a struggle. I was trying to work on my homework the entire time and quickly realized it was not going to be easy. The mask that stimulated the loss of an eye, covered one eye and left the other eye uncovered. I found that this one quickly gave me a headache. I just wanted to close my eyes and not open them the entire hour. I still managed to do my homework, but it took me longer and struggled to concentrate. The next mask that I wore stimulated macular degeneration. This one might have been the "easiest" one to experience, although it was still difficult to function. The mask made it so I had dark spots right in the middle of my view. I was still able to read, but I was slow. I also noticed that I kept loosing track on where I was reading on my page. I was often lost going from one line to the next. The next mask that I wore stimulated glaucoma. This one let you see out of small tiny circles, kind of like having tunnel vision. This one was difficult, but still not the hardest one. I was able to continue with my homework (slowly) and struggled more when I looked long distant. Walking was also very difficult with this mask. With no peripheral vision, I struggled to take in my surroundings. I was afraid to go very far while wearing this mask. I cannot imagine having sight so limited for any extended period of time. The last mask that I wore was the hardest one for me to experience. It was stimulating loss of visual acuity. While wearing this mask, it was difficult to see anything. I could no longer read and had to put away my homework. I could not use my computer or phone. I struggled to make sure I put everything in my backpack and that I did not leave anything behind when I left. It was a long hour. I couldn't tell if anyone was looking at me and I was nervous and afraid to address anyone without being able to see them. I just saw blurs. Lots and lots of blurry people. Sight would be such a difficult thing to loose. I admit that I have taken mine for granted. I think about all of those things that I would not be able to do: drive a car, ride a bike, walk to places, read a book, watch a movie, look at the person I am talking to, shopping at a store, getting dressed and ready in the morning...I am sure I could go on forever. What would I do? How would I handle this? What would life be like? I am grateful for this experience and for it opening my eyes to the world of those living without sight. The world looks a lot different to me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment